Leeds United ,Noster Terrace & Holbeck Cemetery

LUFCOne of the houses in Noster Terrace holds a secret connection to Leeds United. This is no fantastic Victorian mansion with a blue plaque, it is just an ordinary through terrace house facing Holbeck Cemetery and overlooking Beggars Hill, which in turn, looks down on Leeds United’s football ground.
It is a Victorian terrace built as part of a development of back-to-backs streets by Joseph Pullan on 6 acres of land in Beeston. He purchased the land in 1893 at the cost of £1300 and built all the streets with the names Noster & Marley.
On 24th August 1923 this house was bought by Leeds United Association Football Club Limited.
At a meeting of the Directors held at the Griffin Hotel on the 26th June 1923 it was proposed by Mr Ray Aspinall & seconded by Mr Mark Barker, that it was resolved that the sum of £480 be borrowed on the mortgage for the house in Noster Terrace in the City of Leeds from Leeds Permanent Benefit Building Society. The solicitors were Messrs Middleton .
Directors of LUAFC who signed it were:- J Hilton Crowther, Kaye Aspinall, Alf Masser, Harold Tetley and Sir Berkeley Moyihan.
The mortgage agreement for £480 between Leeds Permanent Benefit Building Society & Leeds United was approved on 24th August 1923. (It was finally paid off on 5th November 1942)
Leeds United kept the property until 22nd January 1958 when it was sold to a family.
The house was used as a base for some of the Leeds United team managers. Norman Williams lived here in 1925 and in 1932 Dick Ray was living here.Quite handy for the ground!!
Later Holbeck Cemetery was the setting for Tony Harrison’s poem ‘V’ which featured LU football fans .

Advertisements

About holbeckcemetery

We're a Friends group looking after a beautiful Victorian cemetery
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.